Photo by rgourley
We have a great Guest Post today from Jill at FETCH!™ Pet Care!
For some great tips on how to keep your dog safe this summer during outdoor activities, read on!
FETCH!™ Pet Care, the nation’s largest provider of professional pet sitting and dog walking services, is devoted to the health, safety and well-being of pets. With 60 percent of America’s pets classified as overweight, a key part of FETCH! Pet Care’s services include a pet exercise program, called the Go Fetch! pet fitness service, designed to get pets up and moving and give them their daily dose of physical activity.
FETCH!™ Pet Care provides the following tips to help keep your pet safe and comfortable as you start off your pet’s summer fitness routine:
- Wherever you exercise your dog, safety should come first. To avoid potential issues with cars, people or other animals when walking, jogging, or running, use a harness on your dog instead of a collar. Make sure that the harness is snug, but not too tight, and frequently check your dog’s lead for any frays and impending breaks.
- Make sure your dog has access to fresh, clean water while exercising. If possible, bring a little pack with a small bowl and a bottle of water with you. Never allow your dog to drink out of puddles or standing water.
- Give your dog a warm-up before any strenuous exercise. A short walk, or quick game with a ball or Frisbee, is a great way to get your dog’s body ready for a work out.
- Dogs want to please their owners. However, some dogs may actually harm themselves “going the extra mile” during their exercise routine. Watch your dog for signs of exhaustion, and periodically check your dog’s feet for any sores and monitor closely for signs of limping.
- Dogs can become sunburned too. When exercising outdoors with your dog, try to do it in the morning and late afternoon hours.
- There are plenty of exercising accessories on the market today to keep your pet comfortable while exercising. For example, doggy shoes can protect paws from scrapes and cuts, and sweaters can keep dogs warm from the cold or wind.
And as always, don’t forget to have some fun in the process!
About FETCH!™ Pet Care: Founded in 2002 and with over 1,800 service areas in the United States, Fetch!™ Pet Care is the pet sitting industry market leader–the new face of pet care in the 21st century. The company offers a humane alternative to kennel boarding by providing loving, in-home overnight and/or daily care to any kind of pet in the most professional and reliable manner possible. FETCH! Pet Care uses highly experienced pet sitters and dog walkers and screens and insures all of them to ensure service excellence and pet owner peace of mind. For more information, visit www.FetchPetCare.com or call 1-866-FETCH-ME!